Tuesday, 1 April 2008
Free 'wrongly jailed' fan
Neal Keeling
1/ 4/2008
THE case of a Manchester United fan jailed in Italy is to be debated in Parliament.
Michael Burk, of Little Hulton, Salford, was one of four United supporters jailed after being arrested in December.
MP Barbara Keeley will tomorrow call for the release of supporters imprisoned after United and Roma fans clashed.
The four were caught up in violence with Roma's infamous Ultras on the Ponte Duca D'Aosta Bridge - a gathering point for Italian fans which visiting supporters had been asked to avoid.
Mr Burk, 35, a builder, was sentenced to two years and five months of which he has now served three months.
At his trial he was found guilty of violent behaviour and resisting arrest.
He is due to appeal against his sentence and conviction next month and his MP, Mrs Keeley, is pushing to secure his release. She will have a 30 minute debate in the House of Commons on Mr Burk's trial.
Families of all four of the jailed fans will visit Westminster to talk to their MPs.
Mr Burk denies being involved with the violence and claims he and other fans were beaten by Italian police during the clashes.
Worsley MP Mrs Keeley said problems with the trial process `could have led to a wrongful conviction'.
She said: "I am deeply concerned about the lack of translation and interpretation in his trial and the evidence-gathering before the trial.
"The court-allocated lawyer did not speak English and there was no effective interpretation either before or during the court hearing. Mr Burke did not even know until the second court hearing what the charges against him were, and statements and court papers were not translated either."
Mr Burk's trial was held under an `abbreviated procedure', which meant only written statements were submitted and the defendants could not speak or call witnesses.
Mrs Keeley said: "All of this falls far short of the standards of justice we expect in a court in an EU country. The right to a competent interpreter for anyone who does not understand the language being used in a court is usually considered a fundamental rule of justice.
"I am raising these matters in Parliament as I am keen to see the case against Mr Burke overturned on appeal and I hope the government can help to make sure that my constituent receives a fair hearing."
The other fans included partially-sighted Kyle Dillon, 23, from Mottram, Hyde, jailed for two years and six months for assault and resisting arrest.
Nicholas Lucas, 18, and Richard Wimmer, 39, were both also given two years and six months.
United play Roma again tonight in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
Fans have been warned to stay away from potential trouble spots in the Italian capital.
In a letter published on United's website fans are told not to take metro trains to the Piazza Flaminio and stay away from Campo De Fiori, another meeting point for Roma fans.
1/ 4/2008
THE case of a Manchester United fan jailed in Italy is to be debated in Parliament.
Michael Burk, of Little Hulton, Salford, was one of four United supporters jailed after being arrested in December.
MP Barbara Keeley will tomorrow call for the release of supporters imprisoned after United and Roma fans clashed.
The four were caught up in violence with Roma's infamous Ultras on the Ponte Duca D'Aosta Bridge - a gathering point for Italian fans which visiting supporters had been asked to avoid.
Mr Burk, 35, a builder, was sentenced to two years and five months of which he has now served three months.
At his trial he was found guilty of violent behaviour and resisting arrest.
He is due to appeal against his sentence and conviction next month and his MP, Mrs Keeley, is pushing to secure his release. She will have a 30 minute debate in the House of Commons on Mr Burk's trial.
Families of all four of the jailed fans will visit Westminster to talk to their MPs.
Mr Burk denies being involved with the violence and claims he and other fans were beaten by Italian police during the clashes.
Worsley MP Mrs Keeley said problems with the trial process `could have led to a wrongful conviction'.
She said: "I am deeply concerned about the lack of translation and interpretation in his trial and the evidence-gathering before the trial.
"The court-allocated lawyer did not speak English and there was no effective interpretation either before or during the court hearing. Mr Burke did not even know until the second court hearing what the charges against him were, and statements and court papers were not translated either."
Mr Burk's trial was held under an `abbreviated procedure', which meant only written statements were submitted and the defendants could not speak or call witnesses.
Mrs Keeley said: "All of this falls far short of the standards of justice we expect in a court in an EU country. The right to a competent interpreter for anyone who does not understand the language being used in a court is usually considered a fundamental rule of justice.
"I am raising these matters in Parliament as I am keen to see the case against Mr Burke overturned on appeal and I hope the government can help to make sure that my constituent receives a fair hearing."
The other fans included partially-sighted Kyle Dillon, 23, from Mottram, Hyde, jailed for two years and six months for assault and resisting arrest.
Nicholas Lucas, 18, and Richard Wimmer, 39, were both also given two years and six months.
United play Roma again tonight in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
Fans have been warned to stay away from potential trouble spots in the Italian capital.
In a letter published on United's website fans are told not to take metro trains to the Piazza Flaminio and stay away from Campo De Fiori, another meeting point for Roma fans.
Monday, 31 March 2008
Jailed fan's mum in 'stay at home' plea
Adam Derbyshire
31/ 3/2008
THE mum of a Manchester United fan jailed for fighting in Rome has pleaded with other supporters to stay away from the Italian capital tomorrow night (Tuesday).
The Reds will be playing their fifth Champions League match against Roma in little over a year, and previous clashes have been marred by violence.
Kyle Dillon was one of four English fans imprisoned last December after fights broke out between rival supporters when United visited Roma for a group stage match. His mother Janet urged United supporters should not to go to Tuesday's game because British police could not guarantee their safety.
And she said that any trouble might have a detrimental effect on a legal appeal scheduled for May 2, which could see 23-year-old Kyle, Richard Wimmer, 39, Nicholas Lucas, 18, and Michael Burk, 35, released.
Mrs Dillon, from Mottram, near Hyde, said: "Don't go to the game, it isn't safe. Our police cannot protect you and the Italian police will not protect you because they are part of the problem.
"If you do have to go to the game, stay out of trouble. Because of the proximity of the two games to the appeal date, any trouble could have an effect on the outcome of the appeal."
The four were part of a group which broke from other fans on their way to the ground and became embroiled in clashes with Roma's notorious `Ultras' at the Duca d'Aosta bridge.
Three United fans were stabbed outside Roma's ground last April, when the two clubs also met at the quarter-final stage. There were violent scenes inside the Stadio Olimpico, and scuffles erupted outside Old Trafford during the second leg a week later, with 21 people arrested.
Greater Manchester Police have urged fans to be on their best behaviour. Transport to and from the ground has been arranged for United supporters, to head off trouble on the bridge.
And police say anyone choosing to make their own way to the stadium - or planning to buy tickets from touts - could put themselves in danger.
31/ 3/2008
THE mum of a Manchester United fan jailed for fighting in Rome has pleaded with other supporters to stay away from the Italian capital tomorrow night (Tuesday).
The Reds will be playing their fifth Champions League match against Roma in little over a year, and previous clashes have been marred by violence.
Kyle Dillon was one of four English fans imprisoned last December after fights broke out between rival supporters when United visited Roma for a group stage match. His mother Janet urged United supporters should not to go to Tuesday's game because British police could not guarantee their safety.
And she said that any trouble might have a detrimental effect on a legal appeal scheduled for May 2, which could see 23-year-old Kyle, Richard Wimmer, 39, Nicholas Lucas, 18, and Michael Burk, 35, released.
Mrs Dillon, from Mottram, near Hyde, said: "Don't go to the game, it isn't safe. Our police cannot protect you and the Italian police will not protect you because they are part of the problem.
"If you do have to go to the game, stay out of trouble. Because of the proximity of the two games to the appeal date, any trouble could have an effect on the outcome of the appeal."
The four were part of a group which broke from other fans on their way to the ground and became embroiled in clashes with Roma's notorious `Ultras' at the Duca d'Aosta bridge.
Three United fans were stabbed outside Roma's ground last April, when the two clubs also met at the quarter-final stage. There were violent scenes inside the Stadio Olimpico, and scuffles erupted outside Old Trafford during the second leg a week later, with 21 people arrested.
Greater Manchester Police have urged fans to be on their best behaviour. Transport to and from the ground has been arranged for United supporters, to head off trouble on the bridge.
And police say anyone choosing to make their own way to the stadium - or planning to buy tickets from touts - could put themselves in danger.
Friday, 21 March 2008
MP's bid to free jailed Reds
Neal Keeling
21/ 3/2008
AN MP is stepping up the campaign to get a Manchester United fan released from jail in Italy.
Michael Burk, of Little Hulton, Salford, is one of four Reds fans imprisoned there.
Mr Burk is due to appeal against his sentence and conviction in May and his MP, Barbara Keeley, is pushing to secure his release.
She said she is `very concerned' about his treatment by the Italian legal system.
The four fans were arrested in December after being caught up in violent clashes before a Champions League game between Manchester United and Roma.
Mr Burk, 35, a builder, was sentenced to two years and five months of which he has now served three months.
At his trial he was found guilty of violent behaviour and resisting arrest.
Mr Burk denies being involved with the violence and he claims that he and other fans were beaten by Italian police during the clashes.
Mrs Keeley said: "It has become clear to me that the men were unfairly represented during their trial as they didn't understand a word of the proceedings. During the first hearing Mr Burk did not even know what the charges against him were.
"The court should have provided an English speaking lawyer or a translator and there was a serious lack of adequate language translation throughout the process. The solicitor appointed by the court was not interested in what the defendants were saying and he seems to have advised them badly.
"It seems there has been a miscarriage of justice and, if there has, I would like to see Mr Burk's conviction overturned."
Mr Burk's appeal hearing is scheduled for May 2. Next month, Manchester United are due to play Roma once again in the quarter finals of the Champions League.
Mrs Keeley hopes that by raising the profile of Michael Burk's case, the freedom of Michael and of the other three fans can be secured.
The other fans included partially sighted Kyle Dillon, 23, from Mottram, Hyde, who was sentenced to two years and six months after facing charges of assault and resisting arrest, which he denies.
The two other fans are Nicholas Lucas, 18, who received an identical sentence and Richard Wimmer, 39, who was given two years and six months.
Further information on the fans and how to show support for them is available on the website, reds4reds.co.uk
21/ 3/2008
AN MP is stepping up the campaign to get a Manchester United fan released from jail in Italy.
Michael Burk, of Little Hulton, Salford, is one of four Reds fans imprisoned there.
Mr Burk is due to appeal against his sentence and conviction in May and his MP, Barbara Keeley, is pushing to secure his release.
She said she is `very concerned' about his treatment by the Italian legal system.
The four fans were arrested in December after being caught up in violent clashes before a Champions League game between Manchester United and Roma.
Mr Burk, 35, a builder, was sentenced to two years and five months of which he has now served three months.
At his trial he was found guilty of violent behaviour and resisting arrest.
Mr Burk denies being involved with the violence and he claims that he and other fans were beaten by Italian police during the clashes.
Mrs Keeley said: "It has become clear to me that the men were unfairly represented during their trial as they didn't understand a word of the proceedings. During the first hearing Mr Burk did not even know what the charges against him were.
"The court should have provided an English speaking lawyer or a translator and there was a serious lack of adequate language translation throughout the process. The solicitor appointed by the court was not interested in what the defendants were saying and he seems to have advised them badly.
"It seems there has been a miscarriage of justice and, if there has, I would like to see Mr Burk's conviction overturned."
Mr Burk's appeal hearing is scheduled for May 2. Next month, Manchester United are due to play Roma once again in the quarter finals of the Champions League.
Mrs Keeley hopes that by raising the profile of Michael Burk's case, the freedom of Michael and of the other three fans can be secured.
The other fans included partially sighted Kyle Dillon, 23, from Mottram, Hyde, who was sentenced to two years and six months after facing charges of assault and resisting arrest, which he denies.
The two other fans are Nicholas Lucas, 18, who received an identical sentence and Richard Wimmer, 39, who was given two years and six months.
Further information on the fans and how to show support for them is available on the website, reds4reds.co.uk
MP expressed concerns over Italian treatment of United fan
By Saiqa Chaudhari
AN MP has expressed concerns about the treatment of a Manchester United fan imprisoned in Italy.
Worsley MP Barbara Keeley has called into question the trial of her constituent Michael Burk.
He was arrested after being caught in violent clashes before a Champions League game between Manchester United and Roma in December.
advertisement
The 35-year-old builder from Little Hulton was sentenced to two years and five months after being found guilty of violent behaviour and resisting arrest. He has now served three months. He is one for four fans serving a prison sentence.
Mr Burk denies the changes and is due to appeal against his sentence and conviction in May.
Mrs Keeley said she felt that the conviction was unsafe.
She said: "They didn't understand a word of the proceedings. During the first hearing Mr Burk did not even know what the charges against him were.
"The court should have provided an English lawyer or a translator and there was a serious lack of adequate language translation throughout the whole process.
"The solicitor appointed by the court was not interested in what the defendants were saying and he seems to have advised them badly .
"It seems there has a been a miscarriage of justice and if there has, I would like to see Mr Burk's conviction overturned.
The other fans are Kyle Dillon, aged 23 from Mottram, Hyde, who received two years and six months; Nicholas Lucas, aged 18, who was given the same sentence and Richard Wimmer, aged 39, who was given two years and six months.
AN MP has expressed concerns about the treatment of a Manchester United fan imprisoned in Italy.
Worsley MP Barbara Keeley has called into question the trial of her constituent Michael Burk.
He was arrested after being caught in violent clashes before a Champions League game between Manchester United and Roma in December.
advertisement
The 35-year-old builder from Little Hulton was sentenced to two years and five months after being found guilty of violent behaviour and resisting arrest. He has now served three months. He is one for four fans serving a prison sentence.
Mr Burk denies the changes and is due to appeal against his sentence and conviction in May.
Mrs Keeley said she felt that the conviction was unsafe.
She said: "They didn't understand a word of the proceedings. During the first hearing Mr Burk did not even know what the charges against him were.
"The court should have provided an English lawyer or a translator and there was a serious lack of adequate language translation throughout the whole process.
"The solicitor appointed by the court was not interested in what the defendants were saying and he seems to have advised them badly .
"It seems there has a been a miscarriage of justice and if there has, I would like to see Mr Burk's conviction overturned.
The other fans are Kyle Dillon, aged 23 from Mottram, Hyde, who received two years and six months; Nicholas Lucas, aged 18, who was given the same sentence and Richard Wimmer, aged 39, who was given two years and six months.
Sunday, 2 March 2008
Sunday, 27 January 2008
Roma4 email group
We had a meeting last night with the families of Nick, Kyle and Stacey and agreed we'd set up an email group for ALL supporters of the campaign to allow exchange of ideas and as a source of volunteers for actions/events etc. The idea is to build as large an email communication database as possible so that we can get as many supporters as possible to get involved - whether it is ideas, donations and obviously all families should be signed up if possible: The best place to do this is as a web member (additional options available) here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/roma4
Alternatively for email only subscription just send a blank email to: roma4-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Alternatively for email only subscription just send a blank email to: roma4-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)